– Invitation to interview will be emailed between Oct. 11 and Oct. 29, 2021.
– Interviews will be held in person on the RBHS Newark Campus on Dec. 6 & 7, 2021.
for May admission
Rutgers School of Nursing Admissions & Recruitment policies and procedures are being modified to accommodate applicants in light of the current public health environment surrounding Covid-19. Details will be updated on these pages as they happen. We are here to answer your application and admissions questions. You may contact us at email@example.com.
Admissions Process: Applications should be submitted after June 1st, but no later than September 1st. All components of the application (CV, licenses and certifications, two references from ICU leadership, official transcripts etc) must be submitted prior to September 1st. Only applications that are complete before September 1st will be considered. After thorough review of all files by the admissions committee, select individuals will be invited to interview on December 6 and 7, 2021
Academic and Professional Requirements
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in nursing from a nationally accredited program with at least a 3.2 GPA (where A = 4.0) Official transcripts for all college courses must be submitted.
- Current registered nurse licensure in ANY of the United States is required, and must be submitted with the application. Licensure in both New Jersey and New York will be required prior to the second semester of study.
- A minimum of one complete year of full time, recent experience as a Registered Professional Nurse in a critical care setting with demonstrated proficiency in managing critically ill patients, mechanical ventilation, invasive hemodynamic monitoring, vasoactive IV infusions and aggressive fluid management. Preferred areas of critical care experience include: surgical ICU, cardio thoracic ICU, neurosurgical ICU, burn ICU, pediatric ICU, medical ICU. PACU experience is generally not considered, but may be if care is comparable to other ICUs. Experience in NICU and/or Emergency Department will not be considered.
- Current Advanced Life Support (ACLS) and Critical Care Registered Nurse (CCRN) certification. Certificates must be submitted with the application, and CCRN test scores will be requested of candidates invited to interview. PALS is not a requirement of admission, but certification must be provided prior to the fourth semester of study/the start of the anesthesia practicum.
Letters of Reference and Writing Sample
- At least two letters of recommendation from professional colleagues in a leadership role from the critical care setting, addressing the applicant’s critical thinking skills, experience and potential success in the nurse anesthesia program.
- Writing skills of selected applicants will be assessed prior to and during the interview through essay and short answer question review by the admissions committee.
Selected applicants will be invited to participate in on campus interviews, which will be scheduled during the fall. A Supplemental Application for Admission to the RBHS SN Anesthesia Program, including an attestation of prior enrollment in an anesthesia program, will be required at the time of the interview. Candidate will also participate in a short assessment tool and knowledge evaluations during the interview process.
- A Personal Statement, limited to one page, describing your critical care nursing experience and career goals
- Official transcripts of all previous college work
- Resume, including all critical care and other nursing experience, and CRNA shadowing information
- Completed online application, uploading all additional required documents
- Application fee paid.
In addition to the criteria and requirements above, you must submit an official review of your transcript by either World Education Services or CGFNS International, Inc., as well as your IELTS results.
Even if you hold a master’s-level degree from the U.S. or another English-speaking country, you are still required to take the TOEFL or IELTS. Your scores must be current within two years of the semester you’re applying for, and you must have at minimum the following scores:
- Paper-based TOEFL: 550
- Computer-based TOEFL: 213
- IBT internet-based TOEFL: 22 in writing, 23 in speaking, 21 in reading, and 17 in listening
Learn more about your application process.
COVID-19: Updates to Admissions Procedures
For transcript submissions, we encourage applicants to submit official transcripts electronically until further notice. We suggest that applicants upload required supporting materials (resume, writing samples, etc.) directly to their online application. This can be done using the upload supporting materials feature.
Office of Admissions & Recruitment
School of Nursing
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
65 Bergen St., Room 601
Newark, NJ 07107
Phone: (973) 972-3067
Fax: (973) 972-2672
- On Line Application completed and submitted
- All official transcripts – request sent
- RN license in any state – uploaded
- ACLS certification – uploaded
- CCRN certification – uploaded
- Professional references from at least two critical care colleagues in a leadership role submitted
- Resume detailing critical care experience – uploaded
- Brief one page personal statement- uploaded
- International requirements if applicable
- Payment of Application Fee