for SUMMER admission
April 15th deadline for FALL 2021 admission
|Application Deadline||Post-Master’s Certificate Program|
|April 15th for Fall||Adult Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner|
|April 15th for Fall||Family Nurse Practitioner|
|April 15th for Fall||Nurse Midwifery|
|April 15th for Fall||Pediatric Acute Care Nurse Practitioner|
|October 15th for Summer||Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner|
|October 15th for Summer||Family Nurse Practitioner in Emergency Care|
|October 15th for Summer||Pediatric Primary Care Nurse Practitioner|
COVID-19 Updates: Rutgers School of Nursing Admissions & Recruitment policies and procedures are being modified to accommodate applicants in light of the current public health environment surrounding Covid-19. Details will be updated on these pages as they happen. We are here to answer your application and admissions questions. You may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We consider the following elements in your application:
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing and advanced practice degree (MSN or DNP) from nationally accredited programs
- GPA of 3.2 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Current RN license in NJ
- Successful completion of an undergraduate descriptive/inferential statistics course and physical assessment course.
- Post -Master’s Certificate Nurse Practitioner students who did not complete Advanced Pathophysiology, Advanced Pharmacology, and/or Advanced Physical Assessment during their previous graduate studies or prior to admission will be required to take these courses. A gap analysis to determine what/if any additional courses are required for the respective program will be completed by the Specialty/Program Director upon admission.
- The Pediatric Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Certificate requires current certification as an PNP/FNP from PNCB or ANCC as well as a current APRN license in NJ. Applicants should already have an MSN or DNP degree as a Pediatric or Family Nurse Practitioner.
When applying, make sure you submit the following:
- Completed online application including personal statement, resume, and proof of RN licensure
- Official transcript of all prior college work
- Two scholarly papers in which you’re the main author, like a published article, book chapter, or paper completed for school
- Two letters of reference from graduate-prepared nurses or faculty
- Paid application fee
If necessary, we will contact you to schedule a faculty interview.
COVID-19: Updates to Admissions Procedures
For transcript submissions, we encourage applicants to submit official transcripts electronically until further notice. We suggest that applicants upload required supporting materials (resume, writing samples, etc.) directly to their online application. This can be done using the upload supporting materials feature.
Office of Admissions & Recruitment
School of Nursing
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
65 Bergen St., Room 601
Newark, NJ 07107
Phone: (973) 972-3067
Fax: (973) 972-2672
In addition to the criteria and requirements above, you must submit an official review of your transcript by either World Education Services or CGFNS International, Inc., as well as your IELTS results.
Even if you hold a master’s-level degree from the U.S. or another English-speaking country, you are still required to take the TOEFL or IELTS. Your scores must be current within two years of the semester you’re applying for, and you must have at minimum the following scores:
- Paper-based TOEFL: 550
- Computer-based TOEFL: 213
- IBT internet-based TOEFL: 22 in writing, 23 in speaking, 21 in reading, and 17 in listening
Learn more about your application process.