School Nurse Certificate
The College of Nursing offers a certificate program designed for professional registered nurses who wish to be certified in school nursing in the State of New Jersey. The program is designed to provide registered nurses with the appropriate educational background, experiences and competencies to carry out the responsibilities and functions of the school nurse.
- The program is an online program with practicums.
- Designed as a post-baccalaureate certificate program for registered nurses with a BA, BS or BSN and/or as a minor for registered nurses pursuing a baccalaureate degree at Rutgers College of Nursing
Criteria for Admission
- Current license as a Registered Professional Nurse in New Jersey
- Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Grade point average of 3.0 or higher (Students are selected on a competitive basis therefore the GPA required for an actual offer of admission may be higher.)
Admission to the College of Nursing’s School Nurse Certificate program occurs once a year each fall semester.
Candidates for the School Nurse Certification must:
- Hold current CPR and AED Certification
- Complete training in airway management and in the use of nebulizers and inhalers.
Foundational/Prerequisite Courses (7 credits)
(For nurses with a BS/BA in another field.)
Equivalent courses earned while obtaining licensure as a registered professional nurse with a BS/BA or BSN degree can be applied to these course requirements. These courses can be undergraduate courses.
705:447 Community and Public Health Nursing (F) [4 cr]
705:306 Health Assessment Across the Life Span (F) [3 cr]
Core Courses (15 credits)
705:470 Foundations in Health Education (F/S) [3 cr]
705:480 School Health Nursing (S) [6 cr]
705:481 School Health Nursing Practicum (F/S) [3 cr]
300:306 Educational Psychology (F/S) [3 cr]
(F) Fall Semester (S) Spring Semester
A minimum of 12 credits must be taken at Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, College of Nursing to obtain this certificate; otherwise there is no limit on transferred credits for certification purposes.
The practicum will consist of 75 hours. Student teaching will take place in 705:481 School Health Nursing Practicum.