Second Degree Baccalaureate Program
Criteria for Admission: Newark and New Brunswick
Admission to the Second Degree Program is open for the fall and spring semester of each year. The program is designed for the student who already possesses a bachelor's degree in another field.
In addition to requirements outlined in the NursingCAS application The School of Nursing requires specific prerequisites to be completed before one is accepted into the program:
- A Baccalaureate degree with a recommended 3.30 GPA or above (where A = 4.0).
- Statistics – 3 credits
- Anatomy and Physiology I and II – 4 credits each w/ labs (8 credits total)
- Organic Biochemistry or General Chemistry II – 4 credits w/ lab
- Microbiology – 4 credits w/ lab
- Nutrition – 3 credits
- Life Span: Growth and Development – 3 credits
- All of the prerequisite courses must be undergraduate 100 level or higher.
- All sciences must be completed within 5 years of acceptance to the program. No time limitation on all other courses.
All science prerequisite courses must be completed prior to the application deadline (June 1st for Fall, September 15th for Spring). Students can submit an application with science course(s) in progress, but are required to provide proof of registration for the course(s). Additionally, the final grade for the science course(s) in progress must be received by June 1 for Fall and by September 15 for Spring to be considered for admission.
- A grade of 3.0 or higher is required in both Anatomy and Physiology courses. Students not meeting this requirement are encouraged to retake the course(s) at a regionally accredited college or university.
- An overall grade of (3.0) or higher is required for the science courses.
- All other prerequisite courses are required to be completed with a grade of C or better prior to enrollment in this program.
- While it is strongly recommended that all pre-requisite courses be completed at the time of application, students who have two non-science prerequisite courses pending at the time of application will be considered. You are required to submit proof of registration for any pending prerequisite course(s). All pending non-science prerequisite courses must be completed by the time the student enters Rutgers School of Nursing.
View Sample Prerequisite Course Descriptions (pdf)
Apply Through NursingCAS
Applications to the Second Degree programs are currently processed through NursingCAS (Nursing Central Application Service).
- A completed application for admission.
- Transcripts documenting graduation from a regionally accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree; and, all transcripts of all colleges/universities previously attended. All Official Transcripts must be sent directly to NursingCAS at the following address
P.O. Box 9201
Watertown, MA 02471
- A personal essay of goals and objectives submitted to NursingCAS
- A résumé submitted to NursingCAS.
- Two recommendation forms submitted electronically via NursingCAS. Note: as of Spring 2018 two recommendation letters are no longer required as part of the application
- Evidence of current American Heart Association Basic Life Support for Health Care Provider certification for Adult, Child, Infant and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) submitted to NursingCAS.
- For all supporting documentation, such as enrollment verification or courses in progress, please submit to SNadmissions@sn.rutgers.edu
Second Degree NursingCAS Application
Upon admittance to the program, the following items must be completed by the student: