for fall admission
for spring admission
We consider the following elements in your application:
- Master’s degree in nursing from a nationally accredited program
- GPA of 3.2 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Current RN license in NJ
- Successful completion of a graduate-level research or statistics course (a grade of B or higher)
In special circumstances, non-nursing master’s degrees from accredited programs will be evaluated case-by-case.
When applying, make sure you submit the following:
- Completed online application including personal statement, resume, and proof of RN licensure
- Official transcript of all prior college work
- Two scholarly papers in which you’re the main author, like a published article, book chapter, or paper completed for school
- Two letters of reference from graduate-prepared nurses or faculty
- Specialty certificates preferred
- Paid application fee
If necessary, we will contact you to schedule a faculty interview.
In addition to the criteria and requirements above, you must submit an official review of your transcript by either World Education Services or CGFNS International, Inc., as well as your IELTS results.
Even if you hold a master’s-level degree from the U.S. or another English-speaking country, you are still required to take the TOEFL or IELTS. Your scores must be current within two years of the semester you’re applying for, and you must have at minimum the following scores:
- Paper-based TOEFL: 550
- Computer-based TOEFL: 213
- IBT internet-based TOEFL: 22 in writing, 23 in speaking, 21 in reading, and 17 in listening
Learn more about your application process.
Mail your supporting documents to:
Office of Admissions
School of Nursing
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
65 Bergen St, Room 601
Newark, NJ 07107