Whether you’re using content imported from another LMS or creating your course site “from scratch,” this checklist will help ensure your Canvas course site is ready to be published.
- Course home page has been set and is accurate for the course. (What are my options?)
- Syllabus is up-to-date and accessible. (See more on working with files.)
- Students know where to begin — a “Start Here Module,” announcement, and/or home page has updated text, is specific to the course, and provides students guidance on where to begin and what to expect the first day of class.
- Students are advised on reviewing Student Canvas Guides, Student Orientation Tutorial, and browser requirements.
Course and Content Organization
- Check files to see that course materials have been uploaded or imported to course site and are not duplicated.
- Modules are clearly organized. Modules and content names are unique and reflect the course’s learning objectives.
- Remove references to other learning management systems.
- All assignments have correct points possible and due dates. They are linked with appropriate modules.
- Submission directions for all assignments are correct. Review each page, especially the submission directions for quizzes, discussions, and assignments to ensure the submission directions are for Canvas. Try using student view.
- Any duplicate or empty assignment group has been removed. If you are weighting grades, the weighting of groups matches the grading scheme described in your syllabus.
- Grades add up to correct percentage or total points and match the course syllabus. (See more on Canvas gradebook.)
- Only the needed navigation tools are viewable to students within the course menu. Recommended: Syllabus, Announcements, Modules, Discussions (if applicable), People, and Grades.
- Internal and external links have been validated using the link validator tool.
- Discussions are graded or ungraded consistently. The order of discussions page makes sense.
- Settings for quizzes (like availability, due dates, timers, and rubrics) have been applied and have been reviewed by previewing them. (What quiz options are available?)
- Any unneeded groups of students have been removed.
- Availability settings, like open and lock dates/times, for files are correct and consistent (if the tool is enabled or if course files are linked to from any course item).
- Active tools are published (like assignments, quizzes, surveys, and items within modules). Students can’t see anything that is not published (with a green cloud).
View Your Course from the “Student View”
- Go to “Settings” in course navigation on the left side of the page and then to “Student View.” It’s the second button down on the right of the page.
- Current and applicable announcements are showing.
- Review all module content. Are items visible as you expect? Are submission directions correct?
- Submission directions for assignments are clear and points and due dates are correct.
- Grades add up to the correct percentage and total points (use Test Student Scores to validate).
- How to check Canvas course roster
- How to ensure course is published
- How to set course details or change start and end dates
- How to Cross-List (combine) Courses in Canvas
- Contact TLT Helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org or (877) 361-1134
- TLT Office of Instructional Design Workshops & Webinars
- SON Instructional Design Team Website
- SON Instructional Design Team Canvas Self-Paced Course