Updated: March 24, 2020
This guide provides instructions on how to set up basic functionality and resources in order to work remotely in case of an emergency. It is not a guide intended to provide full office resources access as if you are using your office desktop.
Basic Office Functions
- Email: Rutgers Connect email: connect.rutgers.edu
- Microsoft Office for faculty and staff – You may use the online versions of MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, OneDrive, etc. at connect.rutgers.edu by clicking the App Launcher icon at the top left. If you’d rather install full versions onto your personal devices, please follow instructions on this OIT page: Installing Microsoft Office
- Phones: Office phones may be forwarded using the “Forward All” button. Be sure to add the prefix for dialing out from your building, then call yourself to test it out. If you choose to forward your office phone, note that the caller can see the forwarded number. View instructions here for forwarding or checking voicemail.
- Sign up for Rutgers WebEx at netid.rutgers.edu
– Select Service Activation
– Login with your Rutgers NetID and Password
– Check mark Rutgers WebEx
– Click on Activate Services
- Get familiar with WebEx if you have not been trained:
– View Training Video
– Instructions on how to join WebEx from your computer
- Sign on to Rutgers WebEx with your NetID and Password to start a meeting
Virtual Computer labs
If you need access to specialized software, you can log in to the Virtual Computer Labs
More Advanced (non-Basic) Access
Remote Desktop without using VPN
- You need to know the device name of your desktop machine for this setup. If you do not, please first obtain it from your respective IT person.
View Remote Desktop Instructions (PDF)
Signing up for Rutgers VPN:
- Go to https://soc.rutgers.edu/vpn/
- Select Service Activation for VPN
- Log into your self-service request page with your NetID and NetID password
- Check box “Remote Access VPN, Cisco AnyConnect Access for Rutgers”
- Click Activate Services
You can log into VPN at vpn.rutgers.edu (from off-campus), however, to use this VPN link, you’ll need to have sign up for DUO 2-factor authentication.
- Signup for DUO Here – you’ll then need to go to Google Play or App Store to download an app called “Duo Mobile” with a green icon, and log in with your Rutgers NetID and NetID password.
- When you log into vpn.rutgers.edu or other Rutgers services, You will enter your NetID, NetID password and then you will use the second password obtained from the DUO app on your Mobile phone.
RBSH VPN (for Telehealth Clinicians)
Do not use the RBHS VPN (rbhs-vpn.rbhs.rutgers.edu) unless you are a Telehealth clinician.
For quickest response to your IT or Telecommuting questions
please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
For IT or Telecommuting emergencies
please call Asanté at 973-494-3824
To balance the workload of the SON IT team, please follow the below assignment to reach your respective IT person for your primary office location
- SSB: Jose (973-289-7124), or Jude (973-508-3635)
- Ackerson: Willy (973-715-6924) or Asante (973-494-3824)
- New Brunswick and Blackwood: Tony Wong (973-508-5369) or Anthony (973-803-2444)
- RCHC/NCC: Anthony (973-803-2444)
- FXB: Roger (201-247-2013)