Course ID: EHPV
2.5 Contact Hours
Registration will be available during the Spring 2022 semester. Join our mailing list here to be notified when the course opens for registration.
- $15 – General Registration
- $10 – Rutgers School of Nursing Faculty, Students, Preceptors and Alumni (Legacy UMDNJ)
- View the Registration & Refund Policies
Though endorsed by the American Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology (ASCCP) and the Society of Gynecologic Oncologists (SGO) in 2015, primary hrHPV testing for cervical cancer screening is not routinely practiced within the United States. Primary hrHPV self-sampling affords women the opportunity to bypass the traditional pelvic exam and Pap test, however, at present, there are no FDA approved cervicovaginal cell self-collection devices for hrHPV testing in the U.S. Furthermore, there is confusion regarding the multiplicity of cervical cancer screening guidelines, and the specific recommendations for women living with HIV.
The purpose of this course is to serve as a review for clinicians on the role of HPV in cervical cancer, current guidelines for screening and special considerations for HIV-positive women, as well as to provide information about primary HPV testing and hrHPV self-sampling and analyze intent to offer hrHPV self-sampling to patients, if FDA approved. It is hoped that documentation of clinician support would provide support for FDA review of these devices in the future.
- Understand the epidemiology of HPV
- Understand the role of HPV in relation to cervical cancer
- Understand the intersection between HPV and HIV
- Understand the current cervical cancer screening guidelines practiced in the United States, including: Cytology, Liquid-based cytology and HPV DNA co-testing
- Understand recommended cervical cancer screening intervals for average-risk women and women living with HIV
- Differentiate between cervical cancer screening guidelines for average-risk women published by ACOG, USPTF, ASCCP & SGO
- Understand the current evidence surrounding primary hrHPV testing
- Understand the interim clinical guidance for primary hrHPV testing (SGO, ASCCP), and recommended screening intervals
- Understand the current evidence surrounding hrHPV self-sampling
- Have a working knowledge of available hrHPV testing modalities and sampling devices for hrHPV self-sampling
Planners and Speakers have no conflicts of interest to disclose regarding this educational activity.
There is no commercial support or sponsorship for this activity.
In support of improving patient care, Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.