Typhon NPST™ - Nurse Practitioner/Nurse Midwifery Student Tracking System
The Typhon NPST™ - Nurse Practitioner Student Tracking System functions as a complete electronic student tracking system and will provide a comprehensive collection of each student patient encounter during clinical rotations.
The system is web-based, HIPAA compliant, and allows students to quickly and easily enter patient encounter information such as demographics, clinical information, diagnosis and procedure codes, medications and brief clinical notes. As a student enrolled in the Nurse Practitioner or Nurse Midwifery program, you are required to purchase and install this product on your desktop/laptop computer for use in all clinical courses. FYI, the word "Typhon" is pronounced “TY-fun” like the word “hyphen.”
IMPORTANT NOTE: A complete listing of clinical hours and experiences may be required by the testing agency at the time of Board Certification application, application for State certification, and/or hospital credentialing.
Typhon NPST™ Instructions:
- To facilitate your comfort with navigating within Typhon, students are required to watch all tutorial sessions.
- At the completion, the student should e-mail your Specialty/Program Director and clinical course faculty.
- You will receive an e-mail to your Rutgers account with your specific login and password, along with a direct link to the login page.
- You will then purchase access to Typhon. When you initially log-in, you are automatically directed to a credit card payment page where you pay the fee. Once payment is approved, the system automatically activates your account and you can begin using the system.
- Students can access the website on their handheld devices at no additional charge.
- Students requiring additional technical support can access the Student Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) found at: http://www.typhongroup.net/help/ or may complete an online support ticket through Typhon with a response time of approximately one (1) business day.
- The "Support Tickets" page is available on your main menu when you log in to your online account. Press "Create New Ticket" and fill out the form completely, outlining your issue and any troubleshooting you have already tried.
- The Rutgers School of Nursing facility number is: 7214
- It is your responsibility to keep and maintain an up-to-date clinical data base.
- Expectations vary from course-to-course. It is the student’s responsibility to read the course syllabus and speak with course faculty to confirm the required components of documentation in Typhon.
- There is a learning curve—this is a lot of information to collect. Most students say that the first few days it may take 5-10 minutes to enter each encounter but that drastically drops by the end of the first week.
- You should always try to enter each day’s encounters on the actual day. If you get into the habit of doing today’s cases today, you won’t have to worry about a deadline and it will help you get past the learning curve more quickly.
- Don't forget to print and use the "blank case log worksheet" to help remind you of the data for each patient.
- Don't forget to monitor your "missing information" screen. Clear it each day while the data is still fresh in your mind.
- If you have a clinical question related to content entry requirements contact your course faculty.
- You are expected to keep the record of your patient encounters up-to-date. The documented clinical hours in Typhon must match the completed clinical hours listed at the time of your mid-term and final clinical evaluations each semester.
Student Access to the Preceptor List in Typhon NPST™
- Students and faculty view an electronic directory of Rutgers SN preceptors when they log into Typhon.
- Typhon will also enable a map link of the preceptor's address so that you can obtain directions from your originating location.
Requesting Preceptors and Clinical Site additions to the Preceptor List
- If your preceptor is not already listed within Typhon, students should request additions to the preceptor list. Please note it is the discretion of each Specialty/Program Director and/or clinical/theory faculty member to approve the use of a clinical preceptor and clinical site.
- All requests must be approved by the Rutgers Typhon Administrator (or their designee) before the person becomes part of the official list.
- Students access the request area on their "Setup Default Choices" page by clicking "REQUEST ADDITION" next to the preceptor drop-down list.
- Students are required to enter the following information:
- Practice/Group Name
- Preceptor LAST NAME, First Name (the last name entered in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS)
- Credentials (MSN, RN, APN, or CRNA, or CNM, or CNL, or M.D. or D.O.)
- Phone #
- Alt. Phone #
- Fax #
- Zip/Postal Code
- Hospital Affiliation
- Once a student request has been made, the system will automatically notify the Rutgers Typhon Administrator (or their designee) that a request is pending. Please allow at least 48-72 hours for this request to be reviewed.
- Students will automatically be notified when action is taken on their request.
- Incomplete or inaccurate data will result in the request being DENIED.