Typhon NPST™ - Nurse Practitioner/Nurse Midwifery Student Tracking System
The Typhon NPST™ - Nurse Practitioner Student Tracking System: functions as a complete electronic student tracking system, including comprehensive collection of each student's patient encounter logs that need to be tracked during their clinical rotations. The system is web based, HIPAA compliant, and allows students to quickly and easily enter patient encounter information such as demographics, clinical information, diagnosis and procedure codes, medications and brief clinical notes. As a student enrolled in either the Nurse Practitioner and Nurse Midwifery programs, you are required to purchase and install this product on their desktop/laptop computer for use by graduate students in all clinical courses (including Advanced Health Assessment). Students enrolled in the Nurse Anesthesia program should contact the program director regarding the use of Student Tracking Software. FYI, the word "Typhon" is pronounced “TY-fun” like the word “hyphen.”
IMPORTANT NOTE: Students are required to provide a printout documenting total clinical hours, complete name and address of practice sites, site specialty, and preceptor's name and credentials for each clinical course. In addition, a complete listing of clinical hours and experiences may need to be the testing agency at the time of Board Certification application, application for State certification, and/or hospital credentialing.
Typhon NPST™ Instructions:
- To facilitate your comfort with navigating within Typhon, students are required to watch all tutorial sessions.
- At the completion, you should e-mail your Track Coordinator and course faculty.
- Once your FULL NAME, PROGRAM, and Rutgers e-mail address is forwarded to the Typhon Administrator, you will be entered into the Typhon database system. You will then receive an e-mail to your Rutgers account with your specific login and password, along with a direct link to the login page.
- You will then purchase access to Typhon. When you initially log-in, you are automatically directed to a credit card payment page where you pay the $80 fee. Once payment is approved, the system automatically activates your account and you can begin using the system.
- Students can access the website on their handheld devices at no additional charge.
- Students requiring additional technical support can access the Student Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) found at: http://www.typhongroup.net/help/ or may complete an online support ticket through Typhon with a response time of approximately one (1) business day.
- The "Support Tickets" page is available on your main menu when you log in to your online account. Press "Create New Ticket" and fill out the form completely, outlining your issue and any troubleshooting you have already tried.
- The Rutgers School of Nursing facility number is: 7214
- It is your responsibility to keep and maintain an up-to-date clinical data base.
- Expectations vary from course-to-course. Find out what your course faculty requires in terms of documentation in Typhon.
- There is a learning curve—this is a lot of information to collect. Most students from other schools say that the first few days it may take 5-10 minutes to enter each encounter, but that drastically drops by the end of the first week.
- You should always try to enter each day’s encounters on the actual day—if you get in the habit of doing today’s cases today, you won’t have to worry about a deadline, and it will help you get past the learning curve more quickly.
- Don't forget about printing and using the "blank case log worksheet" to help remind you of the data for each patient.
- Don't forget to monitor your "missing information" screen. Clear it each day while the data is still fresh in your mind.
- If you have a clinical question related to content entry requirements contact your course faculty
- You are expected to provide a printout of your patient encounters each week and you must provide a hard copy printout of your encounters (to date) at the time of your mid-term and final clinical evaluations each semester.
Student Access to the Preceptor List in Typhon NPST™
- Students and faculty view an electronic directory of Rutgers SN preceptors when they log into Typhon.
- Typhon will also enable a map link of the preceptor's address so that you can obtain directions from your originating location.
Requesting Preceptors and Clinical Site additions to the Preceptor List
- Students have the ability to request additions to the preceptor list. Please note that it is the discretion of each didactic faculty member to approve the use of a clinical preceptor and clinical site.
- All requests must be approved by the Rutgers Typhon Administrator (or their designee) before the person becomes part of the official list.
- Students access the request area on their "Setup Default Choices" page by clicking "REQUEST ADDITION" next to the preceptor drop-down list.
- Students are required to enter the following information:
- Practice/Group Name
- Preceptor LAST NAME, First Name (the last name entered in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS)
- Credentials (MSN, RN, APN, or CRNA, or CNM, or CNL, or M.D. or D.O.)
- Phone #
- Alt. Phone #
- Fax #
- Zip/Postal Code
- Hospital Affiliation
- Once a student request has been made, the system will automatically notify the Rutgers Typhon Administrator (or their designee) that a request is pending. Please allow at least 48-72 hours for this request to be reviewed.
- Students will automatically be notified when action is taken on their request.
- Incomplete or inaccurate data will result in the student’s request being DENIED.