A Program for Rutgers BS in Nursing Students
The program starts with career counseling provided to graduating BS in Nursing students.
Visit the Career Resources page for more information.
Please fill out a Nurse Residency Application
The options for nurses to work outside of the hospital are numerous and essential to the health and well-being of society. This residency includes, but is not limited to, residency opportunities in the following areas:
- Surgical Centers - Work in out patient surgical centers preparing patients for surgery or carrying for them after procedures until they are released.
- Ambulatory Care Centers - Work in an ambulatory care center, which may be referred to as an outpatient care center, providing outpatient services, including diagnostic, treatment, consultation and intervention services.
- Drug Treatment/Rehabilitation Centers - Work to aid in providing medical oversight of patients in drug treatment and/or throughout their rehabilitation process.
Don’t see what you are looking for? Meet with the Career Counselor to determine if the Out-of-Hospital Residency program could include your interest area.
How it Works:
- Decide you are strongly interested in a career in a non-hospital setting.
- Meet with our career counselor to develop career path and options for employment.
- Participate in an Interviewing workshop led by the School of Nursing Career Counseling Officer.
- Pass the NCLEX.
- Work with us to secure employment with a participating organization.
- Attend all Residency sessions (classroom and online).
- Meet regularly with your on-the-job Preceptor.
- Enjoy your beginning nursing career as you advance your knowledge and competence.
Program Components Include:
- Career counseling and strategizing for students before and after graduation.
- Informational interviews with prospective employers.
- Connecting new graduates with employer organizations.
- Approximately 20 classroom/online sessions (100 contact hours).
- Structured interactions with on-the-job Preceptor.
- Nursing Leadership Course at Rutgers SON (3 graduate school credits)
For Information, Contact
Nancy J. Bohnarczyk, Clinical Assistant Professor, Director Rutgers Nurse Residency Program
973-353-2708 or 848-932-5705; email@example.com
Ceil O’Callaghan, Career Counseling Officer, School of Nursing
Sign up for our Mailing List Today!
Program support provided by a grant from the Helene Fund Health Trust