There are many ways to fund your college education. All students are encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year before the priority deadline established by the federal government. Each higher education institution issues an institutional deadline which allows for each department of Financial Aid to process student paperwork and build financial aid packages for its students within a manageable timeframe. All students must know the deadlines and work to meet them. In addition, it is important to know that most recent tax records and other financial information will be necessary to complete the FAFSA - The University may request more information.
For general financial aid questions, students should reach out to Rutgers Office of Financial Aid - Newark. The friendly staff in the Office of Financial Aid is there to assist students seeking answers to questions about their financial aid package, deadlines, grants, and other funding sources. Students are encouraged to visit local libraries and organization websites for additional scholarship opportunities. The application and financial form must be completed.
Applications for Fall 2014 will be accepted beginning February 1, 2014.
College of Nursing Scholarships
The College of Nursing offers scholarships to undergraduate and graduate students based on academic performance and need. The deadline for application submissions is April 15 for the following Fall semester. Decisions are announced just prior to the semester for which funds are requested.
The following scholarships are available through the College of Nursing:
- Samuel and Kathleen Barone Family Endowed Scholarship: Variable amount - Based on merit and financial need. This scholarship is awarded to full time undergraduate students who are New Jersey residents.
- Kenneth and Jane Charlesworth Endowed Nursing Scholarship: To be awarded to a full-time undergraduate student in the College of Nursing based on academic merit-specifically, to a student who has achieved a 3.4 or higher cumulative average in his/her freshman year at the College of Nursing or to a transfer student coming in as a sophomore with a 3.4 or higher cumulative average. Qualified students must submit the appropriate university approved financial aid form by March 1 of each year to be eligible for award.
- College of Nursing Scholarship: Variable amount - Depending on money donated through the annual alumni phonothon and private sources. This scholarship is based on merit and need and is awarded to undergraduate students.
- Helene Fuld Health Trust Scholarship Fund for Baccalaureate Nursing Students: Based on academic merit as determined by the academic administrator and financial need as determined by the Office of Financial Aid. Qualified students must submit the appropriate University approved financial aid form each year to be eligible for award.
- Patricia Scola Memorial Scholarship: Variable amount - This scholarship is based on merit and financial need for those on the New Brunswick campus.
- Van Allen Scholarship: Variable amount - Based on merit and financial need, this scholarship is awarded to full-time undergraduate or graduate students of Hispanic descent.
- Zullo Family Endowed Scholarship: Variable amount - Based on merit and financial need - This scholarship is awarded to full-time undergraduate students who are New Jersey residents.
- The Augusta Dutka Harcar Endowed Memorial Scholarship: To be awarded to a full-time undergraduate or graduate students showing an interest in geriatric or hospice nursing care. Awards will be based on academic merit and financial need as determined by University rules in effect on the date of the award. Qualified students must complete the appropriate University requirements each year to demonstrate their eligibility for financial aid.
- The Johnson & Johnson Nursing Scholar Fund: The Johnson & Johnson Nursing Scholar Fund provides financial assistance to students enrolled in the Rutgers at Camden County - Blackwood program who have demonstrated an ongoing commitment to the field of nursing while maintaining a strong academic record.
College of Nursing Fellowships - Graduate Students
- Kenneth and Jane Charlesworth Endowed Nursing Fellowship: Variable amount - Based on academic merit, specifically the achievement of a 3.4 cumulative GPA or higher at the undergraduate level if newly admitted or a 3.4 GPA average or higher at the end of one semester. This scholarship is awarded to Master's level students.
- The Dr. Dorothy J. DeMaio Nursing Research Fellowship: Rutgers College of Nursing matriculated PhD doctoral students who have successfully completed the qualifying examination is eligible for this fellowship. Eligible candidates must submit a cover letter and up to a three-page, double spaced, description of the research problem or area of investigation including its significance to nursing. In addition, candidates must provide a copy of their transcript of doctoral courses completed to date. This submission is due no later than March 15.
- Elizabeth M. Fenlason Endowed Fellowship: Newly admitted full-time graduate students in the Rutgers College of Nursing are eligible for this fellowship based on academic merit. Eligible studens must have a cumulative 3.4 GPA for all undergraduate coursework or a senior year GPA of at least 3.4 at the Rutgers College of Nursing.
College of Nursing Awards - Graduate and Undergraduate Students
- Peplau Writing Award: One $500 annual award - Awarded for outstanding writing ability by an undergraduate or graduate student in the area of psychiatric/mental health nursing.
- Elizabeth Fenlason Award: Variable amount - Awarded to a post-baccalaureate person who intends to pursue graduate study in nursing at Rutgers University. Priority is given to those with evidence that supports the applicant's commitment to graduate education.
- Joseph M. and Catherine Ruggieri Memorial Award: One $500 annual award - Awarded to an undergraduate student who has excelled academically and demonstrates leadership and potential for graduate studies in nursing.