Ganga Mahat, EdD, RN
- EdD:Teachers College, Columbia University, New York, New York - 1992
- MN: NHWSN, Emory University, Atlanta, GA
- Midwifery: School of Nursing, CMC Hospital Vellore, India
- BSN: School of Nursing, CMC Hospital Vellore, India
My clinical practice focuses on improving and maintaining the health of children and adolescents through my scholarly activities in schools and the Center for Urban Youth and Families (CUYF). In the recent past, my clinical practice included working with service affiliates locally at the Newark School System and internationally with school teachers and a researcher in Nepal. I have developed, implemented, and evaluated a peer HIV education program for high school students in both Newark, New Jersey and in Nepal.
My current clinical practice and scholarship focuses on my work in the Center of Urban Youth and Families (CUYF). I am one of the founding members of this center. The Center’s research foci are oral health, obesity, and pulmonary health. In this center, my long term goal as a clinician is to improve preschool children’s oral health and decrease the incidence of Early Childhood Caries (ECC).
- Mahat, G. & Scoloveno, M. (2018) Effectiveness of adolescent’ peer education programs on reducing HIV/STI risk: An integrated review. Research and Theory for Nursing Practice, 32(2), 168-198.
- Mahat, G. & Bowen, F. (2017). Parental knowledge about urban preschool children’s oral health risk. Pediatric Nursing, 43(1), 30-34
- Ayres, C., Jurado, L.F., Mahat, G. & Norris, S. (2016). An investigation of the relationships between acculturation and specific health practices in Asian Americans. Journal of Nursing Practice Applications & Reviews of Research, 6(1). DOI: 10.13178/jnparr.2016.0601.0216
- Mahat, G., Scoloveno, M., & Scoloveno, R. (2016) HIV/AIDS Knowledge, self-efficacy for limiting sexual risk behavior and parental monitoring Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 31, e63–e69. doi:10.1016/j.pedn.2015.06.015
- Mahat, G.. Scoloveno, M. & Ayres, C. (2014) Comparison of HIV/AIDS peer education program across two cultures. Journal of Cultural Diversity: An Interdisciplinary Journal, 21 (4): 152-8
- Mahat, G. Lyons, R., & Bowen, F. (2014) Early childhood caries and the role of pediatric nurse practitioner. Journal of Nurse Practitioners, 10(3), 189-193.
View Contact Information