Prescribing Controlled Substances
A one-day course
6 contact hours
Offered on the Following Dates
Saturday, July 21, 2018
9:00am - 4:00pm
Stanley S. Bergen Building
65 Bergen St
Newark, NJ 07107
Registration & Fees
- $170 - General Registration
- $125 - Rutgers School of Nursing Faculty, Students, Preceptors and Alumni (Legacy UMDNJ)
- Advanced registration and payment is required for all programs.
- View the Registration & Refund Policies
for Prescribing Controlled Drug Substances »
This one-day course for Advanced Practice Nurses who have prescriptive privileges meets the six-hour mandate for APNs to be licensed to prescribe and manage controlled drug substances. Topics include pharmacologic properties of controlled drug substances, their indications and appropriate use, and the New Jersey State licensure requirements related to prescribing controlled drug substances.
- Provide an overview of the current opioid epidemic in the United States and describe the national and state directives to prescribe responsibility:
Update: 2016 Letter from the Surgeon General
Update: Review of 2016 CDC Guideline on Opioid Prescribing
Continued review of the New Jersey directives.Discuss the current state requirements for New Jersey APNs prescribing Controlled Dangerous Substances (CDS).
- Review of CDS DEA classifications & pharmacologic properties of select drugs.
- Use case studies to illustrate appropriate selection of drugs for common presentations using the World Health Organization’s six-step prescribing methodology.
- Provide best-practice information for use of CDS Agreement forms, prescribing naltrexone for opioid overdose, and implementation of urine drug testing.
- Identify two methodologies for substance abuse screening and discuss the resources and referral procedure for impaired healthcare providers.
Location & Map
Rutgers Health Sciences Campus at Newark
Stanley S. Bergen Building
65 Bergen Street
Newark, NJ 07101
Lot and Deck Parking Available:
- So. Orange Ave & Bergen St parking garage @ $10 day
- Bergen St. & 12th Ave. parking garage @ $7.50 per day.
- Metered parking is available on Bergen St. Be aware that ALL of the "posts" are metered spots. Follow directions on meters with "heads."
- View More Parking Info
Directions: Campus Map (pdf) | Google Map | Yahoo Map
Employee/student shuttles (Campus Connect)
NJ TRANSIT | Google Transit |SEPTA | Amtrak | Bus
Molly J. Bradshaw DNP, APN, FNP-BC, WHNP-BC
- Planners and Speakers have no conflicts of interest to disclose regarding this educational activity.
- There is no commercial support or sponsorship for this activity.
ˆ Back to Top | View more continuing education courses »
In support of improving patient care, Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.