Admission Criteria for the DNP Anesthesia Specialty Track
Admissions Process: Applications should be submitted after June 1st, but no later than September 1st. All components of the application (CV, licenses and certifications, two references from ICU leadership, official transcripts etc) must be submitted prior to September 1st. Only applications that are complete before September 1st will be considered. After thorough review of all files by the admissions committee, select individuals will be invited to interview on November 1 or 2, 2018
Academic and Professional Requirements
- Baccalaureate degree in nursing from a nationally accredited program with at least a 3.2 GPA (where A = 4.0) Official transcripts for all college courses must be submitted.
- Current registered nurse licensure in ANY of the United States is required, and must be submitted with the application. Licensure in both New Jersey and New York will be required prior to the second semester of study.
- A minimum of one complete year of full time, recent experience as a Registered Professional Nurse in a critical care setting with demonstrated proficiency in managing critically ill patients, mechanical ventilation, invasive hemodynamic monitoring, vasoactive IV infusions and aggressive fluid management. Preferred areas of critical care experience include: surgical ICU, cardio thoracic ICU, neurosurgical ICU, burn ICU, pediatric ICU, medical ICU. PACU experience is generally not considered, but may be if care is comparable to other ICUs. Experience in NICU and/or Emergency Department will not be considered.
- Current Advanced Life Support (ACLS) and Critical Care Registered Nurse (CCRN) certification. Certificates must be submitted with the application, and CCRN test scores will be requested of candidates invited to interview. PALS is not a requirement of admission, but certification must be provided prior to the fourth semester of study/the start of the anesthesia practicum.
Letters of Reference and Writing Sample
- At least two letters of recommendation from professional colleagues in a leadership role from the critical care setting, addressing the applicant’s critical thinking skills, experience and potential success in the nurse anesthesia program.
- Writing skills of selected applicants will be assessed prior to and during the interview through essay and short answer question review by the admissions committee.
Selected applicants will be invited to participate in on campus interviews, which will be scheduled during the fall. A Supplemental Application for Admission to the RBHS SN Anesthesia Program, including an attestation of prior enrollment in an anesthesia program, will be required at the time of the interview. Candidate will also participate in a short assessment tool and knowledge evaluations during the interview process.
- A Personal Statement, limited to one page, describing your critical care nursing experience and career goals
- Official transcripts of all previous college work
- Resume, including all critical care and other nursing experience
- Completed online application, uploading all additional required documents
- Application fee paid.
International Applicant Requirements
In addition to the requirements above, International applicants must also submit the following:
- An official review of their transcript by WES or CGFNS and results of IELTS
- TOEFL or IELTS scores (required of all applicants whose undergraduate education was completed in a non-English speaking country. Even if you hold a master's-level degree from a U.S. or other English-speaking country you must still take the TOEFL or IELTS test. Scores must be current within 2 years of the applied semester.
- The minimum Paper based TOEFL score is 550.
- The minimum Computer based TOEFL score is 213
- The minimum IBT-internet based TOEFL (Writing 22, Speaking 23, Reading 21, Listening 17)
More information for international applications
Official transcripts and other admission documents should be mailed to our Admissions Office
Office of Admissions
School of Nursing
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
65 Bergen Street, Room 601
Newark, NJ 07107
Phone Number: 973-972-3067
Student Essential Functions
View Student Essential Functions Policy (pdf)
- On Line Application completed and submitted
- All official transcripts - request sent
- RN license in any state - uploaded
- ACLS certification - uploaded
- CCRN certification - uploaded
- Professional references from at least two critical care colleagues in a leadership role submitted
- Resume detailing critical care experience - uploaded
- Brief one page personal statement- uploaded
- International requirements if applicable
- Payment of Application Fee
Graduate Program Application